Does your baby fuss, cry, and want to be held all the time? Do you have an older child who's stubborn, opinionated, demanding - a real handful? Take heart. America's favorite childcare experts - the authors of The Baby Book and The Discipline Book - have written a book just for you. Drawing on more than twenty years of pediatric practice and their experiences with their own high-need children, William and Martha Sears provide:
- Creative ways to soothe a fussy baby, including a checklist of 36 time-tested baby-calmers
- Methods for feeding high-need children and helping them go to sleep - and stay asleep
- Survival tips for parents - including advice on how to avoid or recover from "mother burnout"
- Information on medical causes of infant fussiness - from infections to food sensitivities
- Effective ways of coping with common high-need personality traits and behavior - including older children who are highly creative, hyper-responsive, or constantly in need of affirmation
- Proven strategies for discipline - getting connected to your child early, providing structure, setting limits, knowing when to say yes and when to say no
- Tips on learning how to talk and listen - from understanding your child's viewpoint and holding your child's attention to encouraging compliance before defiance
- Real-life stories and advice from parents of high-need children
In Parenting the Fussy Baby and High-Need Child, William and Martha Sears acknowledge the difficulties you face but show you how responsive parenting can turn these challenges into advantages for both you and your child. They demonstrate that despite tough beginnings, these children develop wonderful sensitivity, confidence, trust, and other desirable qualities. In fact, the Searses prove that difficult children can provide the most rewarding parenting experiences of all.