For every parent who has ever been deprived of sleep by a restless infant or toddler, now there's hope. The Baby Sleep Book is the comprehensive, reassuring, solution-filled sleep resource that every family will want to own.
Babies don't automatically know how to sleep through the night; they need to be taught. The Searses have learned from decades of pediatric practice, bolstered by their own parenting experiences, that different babies have different nighttime temperaments - and, of course, different families have different lifestyles. In The Baby Sleep Book, instead of espousing the "one method fits all" approach advocated in other baby sleep guides, the Searses explain how you can create a sleep plan that suits the needs of your entire family.
With a sharp focus on the practical tools and techniques that you can use in a wide variety of sleep situations, The Baby Sleep Book covers such topics as:
- the facts of infant sleep vs. adult sleep
- figuring out where, when, and how your child sleeps best
- fail-safe methods for soothing a crying infant
- how to make night nursing easier, and how to stop
- nighttime fathering tips
- whether cosleeping makes sense for you
- naptime strategies that work
- medical and physical causes of night waking
- sleep habits in special situations such as traveling, teething, and illness
Like all the books in the highly popular Sears Parenting Library, The Baby Sleep Book is clear, comforting, and uniquely authoritative. Its flexible, sensitive approach to solving babies' sleep problems distinguishes it as definitive - an unrivaled book that offers immediate results.
Foreword by Dr. James McKenna
Director of the Mother-Baby Sleep Laboratory at the University of Notre Dame