At last! A kids-and-dogs book for parents written by someone who "gets it."
This is a wonderful book. Useful, useful, useful information—all the main points in an extremely easy-to-read style. As a trainer and a mom, Colleen sees the full picture." — Dr. Ian Dunbar
Living with Kids and Dogs . . . Without Losing Your Mind by Colleen Pelar, CPDT, covers more than introducing a baby to the family dog. It has chapters devoted to each stage of a child’s life with parental pointers for setting their family up for success while raising kids and dogs together.
~ Parenting books say control your dog; dog-training books say control your kids. The reality is far more complex and goes way beyond placing blame on either children or dogs for being who they are. ~
Living with Kids & Dogs... Without Losing Your Mind provides busy parents with simple, realistic advice to help ensure that the relationship between their kids and their dog is safe and enjoyable for all.
You will learn how to
- Help your child and dog develop a strong relationship, built on trust and cooperation
- Set your family up for success with a minimum of effort
- Recognize canine stress signals and know when your dog is getting worried about normal kid activity
- Identify serious behavior problems before someone gets hurt
- Provide specific help for managing the interactions with dogs through each stage of your kids’ lives from infancy through the teen years
- Prevent your child from becoming part of a growing statistic—children who have been bitten by a dog.
About the Author
Colleen Pelar, CPDT, has been raising kids and training dogs since 1991. Colleen received her CPDT certification as a pet dog trainer from the Certification Council for Pet Dog Trainers in September of 2001, one of the first 136 trainers in the world to attain this title, and is the training manager of All About Dogs, Inc., one of the largest dog training facilities in Virginia.