This allows you to use the CARES system without making the entire purchase investment.
Nurtured has a limited number of CARES Restraint Systems available as part of a rental program. You will be charged $25 for the first week and then $10 for every week or partial week after that. This rental program is currently only available in the store and cannot be completed online. Customers should call the store with their credit card number to book their CARES rental.
CARES Child Aviation Restraint System is designed specifically for aviation use for children age 1 and older who weigh between 22 and 44 pounds. These youngsters are old enough to be in their own seats, but are too small for the seat belt alone to protect them and provide the safety they require during airplane travel. Their bodies cannot withstand the jolts that are common in routine air travel, much less emergency situations, and they flail forward or slide beneath the seat belt if they are not held securely in place.
Each year more and more young children fly. But until CARES came along, what was missing was a convenient, hassle-free way to keep young flyers safe. Here’s what makes CARES such an invaluable travel solution:
- CARES is approved for use by Transport Canada, Air Canada, Westjet and Porter Airlines.
- CARES is the first and only harness type Aviation Child Safety Device to be certified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as an alternative to a car seat.
- CARES is an elegantly designed belt-and-buckle device that works in conjunction with the regular airplane seat belt and provides young travelers the same level of safety as a car seat.
- CARES weighs just one pound and fits into a 6? stuff sack! It is easily portable, simple to install, adjustable to every size airplane seat, and usable on any window or center seat in the airplane, except in the emergency exit rows.
- Need your car seat on the other end of the trip? Just check it through as luggage – and carry CARES on board in your pocket!
CARES is manufactured exclusively by AmSafe, the foremost manufacturer of aviation seatbelts and pilot restraints in the world. (Turn over your airplane seat belt buckle. Chances are it says AmSafe.) CARES is made of the same industrial-strength webbing as your own seat belt and is engineered to the highest aviation-safety standards.
What Experts Say
The NTSB recommends that all occupants be restrained during take off, landing and turbulent conditions and that all infants and small children be restrained in a manner appropriate to their size.
-The National Transportation Safety Board
Testing has shown that aircraft seat belts alone do not adequately protect children younger than three years. All children should travel properly restrained on aircraft…a child is best protected when properly restrained in a child seat system appropriate for the age, weight and height of the child, and meeting the standards for aircraft, until the child weighs more than 40 lbs.
-The American Academy of Pediatrics
According to Title 14 of the Code Of Federal Regulations, under the provisions in parts 121, 125, and 135, no certificate holder (US registered airline) may prohibit a child from using an approved CRS (child restraint system) when the parent/guardian purchases a ticket for the child.
-FAA Advisory Circular 120-87B Use of Child Restraint Systems on Aircraft page 7, Section 10 f,
issued September 17, 2010